Monday, April 8, 2019

Druid-at-Large: An Interview with Dean Easton




Welcome All!

This week's interview is with my friend, Dean Easton.  Dean has been a familiar face in OBOD for many years, and although he and I had met a few times at other gatherings, I didn’t really get to know him until MAGUS 2018, when we carpooled together.  This year, Dean will be presenting a workshop called “Druid Action: Guerrilla Ignition Movement for Peace.”   I was fortunate to catch up with him for a brief interview earlier this month.

--------------------------------

Me:  Hi Dean!  Thanks for being here!    Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Dean:  I'm a dairy farmer's son – grew up in Western NY state and milked cows before and after school. Saw a wind spirit when I was 5 – never told anyone till I was in my 30s. The 14,000 acres of Letchworth State Park with 500-ft. gorges above the Genesee River was a 30-min bike ride from my house. Knew I was “green and wild” since I was 7. Danced with Sufis in my teens, did puja (worship) at the family altar of my Hindu best friend from Karnataka State in Southern India. The genial Methodism of my family started to seem pretty tame as a result. Taught English at a private school in CT for 16 years, where I worked with kids who'd organized an Alternative Spiritualities group – something different every year. We celebrated Samhain and Beltane regularly – other festivals depended on interest – and exam schedules!

Me:  How did you first come to OBOD?  How long have you been involved with OBOD?

Dean:  Knew ABOUT OBOD since about 2006. Finally joined in 2011, while I was working in Korea, the day before I got knocked on my ass by a Korean land spirit which was guarding a shrine. So it was time! Like  for so many, for me joining OBOD was a homecoming. I'm happily “Ovating” – will get around to Druid grade eventually, I suspect, after a few more spirals.

Me:  What is special or exciting about MAGUS?  What are you most looking forward to?

Dean:  MAGUS is Beltane energy! Like ECG and GCG, MAGUS is our tribe gathering again each year, as much of it as can attend. Who on the good greening earth would want to miss that?!

Me:  Why did you choose the workshop topic you did?  Care to give us a little preview?

Dean:  I'm a professional nerd – I was working on the Old English Facebook group I administer and discovered Old English has words for two different kinds of peace. When I saw the MAGUS theme for this year, the link started forming. Add to that the kink or itch in my attention everytime we say in OBOD ritual “without peace can no work be.” That was enough to launch me! We'll explore the implications of Emma Restall Orr's words:  “Druid ethics are built upon the release of ignorance and the respectful creation of deep and sacred relationships” – through several mini-rituals. And we'll learn to chant Yr Awen a Ganaf, Or Dwfn y Dygaf – “The Awen I sign, from the Deep I bring it” – courtesy of Kristoffer Hughes.

Me:  Thanks very much! I’m really looking forward to that!  Just one last question. . .What’s the most interesting thing you’ve done this month?  ;-)

Dean:  Woke from about a week ago from a dream with very clear lyrics to a poem – had to scramble to get as much down as possible before the dream faded. Sang myself back into it as much as I could. Got four or five stanzas. When this happens I find it's not the quality of the poem that matters nearly as much as it's gratitude for the gift, and the practice of intense inward listening!

Me:  Very cool!  I hope we'll get to hear your poem at a future Eisteddfod!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Dean! And your workshop!
    And... I must add. He's not just a familiar face in OBOD. In 2013, I dubbed thee "Sir Mightiest Mustache in OBOD!"

    ReplyDelete